03 Jul Sustainable Living: How You Can Be A Responsible Consumer?
Sustainable Living: How You Can Be A Responsible Consumer
Sustainable living can be described as an attempt to reduce society’s or an individual’s use of available natural resources. This involves reducing the carbon footprint by choosing alternate opinions for transportation, diet, and energy consumption. The importance of sustainable living has become more apparent with the impact of climate change all over the world. The planet is in crisis mode and it is time to make some changes to stop our journey along this dangerous path.
Stay Trendy With Sustainable Fashion Tips
Fashion has always been evolving. This has forced people to keep updating their wardrobes to stay in style. However, this can be bad for the planet, as millions of people buy clothes that they do not use for long, ultimately landing in the garbage bin. Here are a few tips to go beyond that and help the planet by being a conscious consumer:
• Ditching Unhelpful Habits: A conscious consumer can benefit a lot from ditching unhelpful habits like following fast fashion brands of fashion influencers who tend to push products that are not made using ethical methods. This can help turn around the fashion environment where people are not willing to accept clothing or accessories that can harm the planet down the lane.
• Become Eco-friendly: Picking clothes made from natural fibres like cotton over polyester goes a long way in helping the planet. These fibres keep you comfortable and also do not contain microfibers that can hurt marine life down the line.
• Buying from Fair Trade Organisations: Fair trade organisations ensure that the products are made using ethical practices with only natural ingredients. This way people can purchase new things without harming the planet and contribute to society at the same time. Apart from community benefits, you get to buy organic products with environmental sustainability.
• Vintage is In: It is time to pay homage to vintage outfits at the local charity shop or even inside your parent’s wardrobe. Second-hand outfits are also easily available on e-commerce websites.
• Caring For Your Stuff:Taking better care of your clothes helps extend their lifespan. Mending them when they get torn, washing them in garment bags, etc are great ways to treat your favourite outfits like the good friends they are to you.
• Donating To Goodwill: Donating clothes to local charities, orphanages, old-age homes and so on is another way to help clothes find a second chance in life. The clothes get used by people in need and reduce your carbon footprint as well.
Reconnect With Food Through Sustainable Lifestyle
Did you know that you can help Mother Nature heal by changing your eating habits? Well, it is time to take a long look at what’s on your plate and make some serious changes:
• Switching To A Plant-Based Diet: In order to achieve a truly sustainable lifestyle, more and more people are open to adopting a plant-based diet. However, if you find that a bit too extreme, there is always the option of reducing meat consumption rather than avoiding it completely.
• Choosing Locally Grown Over Imprinted: When people opt for locally grown food, they get to play a critical role in supporting local farmers. It also helps reduce the carbon footprint caused by importing fruits and vegetables from different parts of the world.
• Enjoying Seasonal Fruits: Rather than eating out of season fruits, it is time to enjoy the seasonal fruits. This ensures that the fruits eaten are organically grown with no artificial measures, thereby keeping the planet healthy and happy.
• Preferring Unpackaged Food: With more and more people becoming conscious about the dangers of packaging, it has become easier to find unpackaged food in the market. It is not surprising anymore to find food packed with biodegradable substances like banana leaves, newspapers and so on.
Sustainable Beauty Hacks
It is time to switch to beauty products that are made through ethical methods with organic and natural ingredients.
• Bidding Adieu To Face Wipes: Face wipes are made from non-biodegradable plastic fibre, thereby making it notoriously bad for the environment. A more sustainable solution would be a piece of flannel cloth and a mild oil-based cleanser to remove your makeup. People with young kids you can also opt for biodegradable wipes for those unexpected messes and clean-ups.
• Package-Free: Most shampoos, conditioners, and body washes come in plastic bottles that are discarded once empty. This does a lot of harm to the environment. By switching to shampoo, conditioner and body wash bars, the amount of plastic waste generated is reduced drastically. They last longer and are not detrimental to the health of the planet at the same time.
• The Big M: Women have always been at the forefront of sustainable living. With tampons and pads being bad for the environment, more and more women are switching to menstrual cups. These cups are made from silicon and can be disinfected and reused multiple times.
Tips For Sustainable Travel
Although travelling across the world can be fun, you can also go about it more sustainably without increasing carbon footprint. Here a few tips to help you out:
• Using Public Transport: In order to practice a sustainable lifestyle while travelling, it is better to opt for public transportation. Traveling on trains rather than on flights is also a great way to see more of the local culture and meet new people. Burning jet fuel is extremely bad for the Earth’s atmosphere as it releases greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide.
• Packing Minimal: Rather than purchasing a new suitcase for an upcoming trip, people are now open to buying a second-hand suitcase. This is cheaper and sustainable in the long run. In order to travel sustainably, it is essential to reduce your plastic waste as much as possible This includes packing a bamboo toothbrush, stainless steel straw, stainless steel razor, soap and shampoo bar and so on.
• Planning Ahead: By taking one step ahead and looking for restaurants that are more vigilant about the waste they produce, you get to do your bit to support restaurants that are trying hard to reduce their carbon footprint.
• Talking To The Locals: Talking to the locals can be helpful in finding hidden gems that are out of the way of touristy spots. This is a great way to explore the best spots and find more about different cultures and places.
The Secret To A Sustainable Living : Be A Conscious Consumer
To lead a sustainable lifestyle, people are learning how to be more conscious of the products and services they avail of. Besides implementing the above tips, it is also essential to recycle paper and plastic. Many people have even started using their food waste to create compost that is used to fertilize their gardens. It is time to give back to Mother Earth and help her heal as we learn how to live a sustainable life.
Freeset exists for the many women who have never had the choice to be free. We care about the thousands in West Bengal, India who are vulnerable to sex trafficking. These women don’t get to choose their occupation, and we want to change that. We make bags, tees, and hand-woven fabrics, and love that we are part of India’s long tradition of cotton and jute production.
Write us an email for your Bags, Tees or Masks bulk order at [email protected]