Freeset - News

Freeset women give insight into their home lives

Jul 31, 2014

A recently completed survey of our staff revealed the joys and troubles of a life after the line



The vast majority of women enjoy their work at Freeset and appreciate their jobs as the best option available to them, according to a recent survey of our staff.

167 women were individually interviewed between April and June 2014 in an effort to learn more about their home lives and to discover where greater support is required.

The survey was conducted by Tamar, a project of the Freeset Trust responsible for assisting with all non-business related issues faced by the women. Other results of the interviews:

  • 64% of the women had worked in the sex trade. The other 36% have not had to work in line as result of their employment with Freeset; they are classified as “preventative hires”.
  • 47% of those who had worked in the trade had done so for more than 10 years.
  • 48% of women did not go to school at all in their childhood. Just 15% completed up to or beyond class 8 (approx. 12 years old).
  • 69% of the women are married. 60% of these women feel that they are treated well by their husbands.
  • The Freeset women have 190 children in total.
  • 43% of the women report feeling a mixture of happiness and anxiety about day to day life, and 27% felt sad or troubled alone. The major reasons given were: 39% money problems; 19% fights/problems within room/family; and 17% concern for children.

The results of these interviews will help Tamar to better focus resources where the women most need help, such as providing further training in money management.

Excitingly, this month a new social worker has joined the Tamar team, better resourcing us to provide the counselling and emotional support that the women need.

A clear pattern emerged from the interviews: women who have been working in the business for longer are happier and more emotionally stable than those who have joined more recently.

Freeset is committed to the holistic freedom of these women, and increased knowledge about the issues they face beyond simply working in the sex trade, will enable us to help them to achieve that freedom.